Wednesday, July 4, 2012

How to Keep it Retro, Even if the Heat Wilts Your Wits Away

Me, looking cute, and (kinda) pin-up in Canton.

Hey again! How are you all coping with the heat? I hope you are all drinking plenty of water and remembering your sunscreen. I learned something I guess I needed to learn at some point. Its hard to be beautiful in the heat of summer. But, I also learned it doesn't have to be that way.
Here are my tips for staying your gorgeous retro pin-upy self , even its so hot the soles of your shoes stick to the pavement!


1. Protect those eyes! Sunglasses are key, so look for retro or classic shapes like cat eyes or ray-bans in fun colors. And maybe rhinestones?  Just sayin'.

2. Keep that complexion! I know it may not always be possible to stay in the shade. I recommend a sun-busting double whammy of sunscreen and a fun parasol. Plus, a parasol is a great way to look like a pin-up when you are out and about.

3.What to wear. What ever you feel most comfortable in. I like cotton but linen is great too. Look for tank tops and shorts that fit well and flatter. Or, a fun play suit with or without a skirt works just as well. If you prefer not to go sleeveless or the occasion doesn't allow, throw on a lightweight bolero. Or, keep it fun with a Mexican folk blouse.

4. Hair. I like a ponytail with faux bangs and a flower or a low bun with a scarf to brighten things up. Or you could go whole hog and do both! You can find warm weather hair tutorials aplenty on Youtube
.
5. Makeup. I like to go bare bones. For me, that means facial sunscreen, mascara, very little eyeliner, translucent powder to control shine and my signature red lipstick kept in place by an application of translucent powder. I find false eyelashes tend to peel. And myeyeliner tends to melt so I try to avoid using to much.

6. Foot wear. Retro doesn't always mean sky high pumps! Plenty of pin-ups wore flats and sneaks. Look for styles that are comfortable and strappy. But if you want to go with something with a heel go for it! I like espadriles with an ankle ribbon myself. Whatever makes you feel good.

As for jewelery, wear as much or as little as you like! Thanks for taking a look. Hope I could help!
Thanks for reading,
                                 - Evie

No comments:

Post a Comment