Thursday, April 26, 2012

Lilly Pulitzer: My Love and Heartbreak

                         
Hello again everybody! The new Lilly Pulitzer summer catalog is hot off the presses and shipping to all of our eager little hands! Just in case you are uninitiated, Lilly Pulitzer is a fun, colorful, pinktastic beachy-prep kind of fashion house and has been a citrus flavored staple of fun loving women in the know since the 1960's. They are now a full fledged lifestyle brand with children's styles ( Little Lillys) fragrances, home goods and sorority specific offerings in their line-up. They even have a beach cruiser! When I opened up my mailbox and plucked out my copy I wasted no time in devouring it whole. But then, after a pause, I went back to my favorite styles and read the sizes available from the catalog. They were all between 00-12 or 00-14. Imagine my dismay. ( For the record I am a shapely 16-18 and fine with it.)                                                                                    




         
Blossom dress in Resort White Mariposa by Lilly Pulitzer
I love the classic shift style they do so well and am a recent convert to their strapless styles. But every shift I have ever tried on was too tight to suit me.
Now, I am far from the typical Lilly girl but I find myself drawn to the prints and patterns the brand has to offer. It seems to me the typical Lilly girl is tall blonde and tan somewhere between 16 and 30 and built like a model with long lean limbs well suited to mini skirts and shorts. I am average height not blonde but make up for that with curves even though I don't tan well. As for the minis and shorts thing, I get by. I understand and embrace that we come in all shapes and sizes and not a one of them is better than another. But sometimes it seems like brands get stuck making too much of certain figure types does'nt it?


Mariana dress in State of Mind Patch by Lilly Pulitzer
Lilly Pulitzer color schemes go down like a cool drink of pink lemonade on a hot day and I dearly wish to add some of that to my wardrobe.


                                          Buttercup Shorts in Shorely Blue Lucky Seersucker by Lilly Pulitzer


 I dearly, dearly wish I could find one that fit me properly. It really is a shame since my personality and coloring mix so well with the lovely prints, liberal use of pink and classic styling. Perhaps its not to late for the brand to discover a hidden demographic? Until then, the only thing that is sure not to be tight across the bust and hip is the accessories. Thanks for Reading!- Evie

No comments:

Post a Comment